When ordering pieces online, it's important that you know your room measurements so that your pieces will easily make it into your home and be properly proportioned in your space.
Here are some guidelines for measuring your space thoroughly prior to shopping to ensure your items are the perfect fit!WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Measuring Tape
- Some Blank Paper (letter size will do)
- A Pencil
- A Smartphone (to take clear photos)
TIPS FOR ACCURATE MEASUREMENTS
- We find it better to measure when you have a buddy! Sometimes, you just need an extra hand for those longer walls.
- Make sure the measuring tape is flat against the wall.
MEASURE YOUR SPACE
- Start by sketching a rough outline of your room. Try to include doors, windows, and the direction in which they open. Measure the length of each wall (A, B, C, D), then include measurements of windows and openings (A1, A2, A3, etc.).
- Next, you will measure the heights (A) and widths (B) of your doors & windows, following with the height from the floor to the bottom of your windows sills (C). If possible, please include your ceiling height (D).
ADDITIONAL MEASUREMENTS YOU'LL NEED
- Measure doorway and elevator opening heights (A) and widths (B).
- Measure the clearance from the inside walls to the outside walls (C).
- Plan out the pathway to get the piece from outside into the desired room.
- Make note of hanging fixtures, other obstacles that may interfere with getting the piece into your home or building.
MEASURE NEW PIECES BEOFRE YOU ORDER
- Locate the product dimensions found on each product page, and make a note of the width (W), depth (D), and height (H).
- It may be worthwhile to measure the diagonal depth upon receiving the item, as it may fit through entryways on a diagonal (DD).
- Some sectionals and other items are delivered in more than one piece, and dining tables and full beds come unassembled.
NOTE: Your pieces won't fit inside if the height or width of the item exceeds the height or width of the doorway or openings, OR if the length of the item exceeds the length of the clearance into the space.
IF YOU NEED HELP SELECTING PIECES
Our team of design experts at West of Main are happy to help you select pieces that fit your room and style perfectly. Learn more about our Decor Consultations!